History Baroque mansion hotel on the Danube bank
The Savoyai Kastélyszálló (Savoyai Mansion Hotel) is located in Ráckeve, which is a pleasant and calm riverside town 45km from the capital city, Budapest. The town is found on the south edge of the „Island of Csepel” which is the largest island on the Danube in Hungary runs along 50 km from Budapest in southern direction.
Our hotel and restaurant operates in this 300- year -old baroque mansion building since 1985 with a direct path to the Little-Danube bank.
We provide accommodation for individual guests as well as for travel groups or corporate clients.
Our 6 event halls are suitable for organizing conferences, corporate meeting, or parties and the mansion itself is a special place for weddings, indoor-outdoor as well. The halls are found in the middle part of the “u-shaped” hotel and our 30 rooms are in the two hotel-wings, all on the ground floor.
Two outside tennis courts and a big park provide sports facilities just as the Danube where lovers of aquatic sports and angling can have a great time. Among our programmes are folkdance performances, wine cellar visiting, gypsy music, daily programmes for accompanying persons, firework, events on board of a ship etc.
We have a strict partnership with the Aqua-Land Thermal and Wellness Bath and an equestrian ranch nearby the mansion for the benefit of our guests.
We hope you and your family, your colleagues and partners will be our guests shortly.
We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel.
The staff of the Savoyai Mansion Hotel and the managers
Mr. Márton Reich , hotel director and Mr. Béla Petre, restaurant manager
Prince Eugene of Savoy acquired the Csepel Island in 1698, and entrusted the young Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt, a disciple of Carlo Fontana from Rome and later an outstanding master of Baroque in Vienna, with the task of designing a so-called maison de plaisance, a rural mansion of merriment, which would provide the prince privacy. Seven letters from Hildebrandt to the prince remain in the archives of the Gonzaga family in Mantua and reveal useful information about the planning and construction in Ráckeve, as well as outlining the prince's stipulations. The plans themselves might have been completed by late 1701 or early 1702. The letters, which include details of plans for the main building and the wings and the garden as well, provided sufficient basis to begin construction. The side-wings were completed in 1714 and the whole construction process was finished in around 1720 to 1722. The prince did not actually reside in Ráckeve mansion after it was finished and, following his death, the estate was appropriated by the Crown.
Under the reign of Maria Theresia of Austria, the mansion and the adjoining land in Csepel was managed by the Hungarian Chancery. In 1814 the middle part of the mansion, along with the stately Baroque cupola, was destroyed by fire; that seen today was rebuilt after the destruction. Until its reconstruction in the 1980s the mansion suffered constant decline.
The maison de plaisance of Prince Eugene of Savoy consists of a one-storey main building and ground-floor side-wings. Its U-shaped layout was extended by two barn-house wings that give the present mansion its cour d'honneur shape.
The octagonal salon inthe middle of the main building was once crowned by a stately mansard cupola in the shape of a Turkish tent – illustrated in L. F. de Rosenfelt's map of Csepel in 1728 – today the salon is crowned by a more simplified, classically shaped cupola.
The central building, leading to the courtyard by way of a hall, has adjoining enfiladed wings on both sides. The sequencing of rooms follows the French model; there is a close resemblance between this and the Castle of Vaux-le-Vicomte. The hallway in front of the main building is actually a driveway and resembles a triumphal arch with its triple openings onto the garden. The openings are separated by alettes with Ionic capitals, and in the oval framework above the two side gates there are busts of Mars and Minerva. The most impressive feature of the main façade is the gallery of statues on the cornice, consisting of (from left to right): Flora, Mercury, Hercules and Antaeus, Jupiter, Hercules (again), Minerva, Saturn, Aeneas and Anchises, Neptune and Diana; it is notable that all of them are related to the virtues of Prince Eugene of Savoy.
The main façade concludes in a tympanum, which frames the coat of arms of the Savoy family between two lions. The lyre-shaped windows running along the first floor are also peculiar. The architectural details reveal the influence of Andrea Palladio and Francesco Borromini, along with several other Italian masters. While the ground-floor side-wings are arranged more simply, the façade of the mansion that faces the garden resembles the main façade but without the hall. Most of the original interior arches of the mansion have perished. The beauty of the original decoration in the salon is represented by only a few remaining ceiling stuccoes which have subsequently been reconstructed in other rooms. These decorations can be compared to the work of Santino Bussi, which can be found in Viennese palaces.